In 1832, G.W. Gibson, made his home on the banks of the Roubidoux, near the Big Spring, on the Kickapoo Trace, in the beautiful Ozarks of Missouri. Two years later, in 1834, William Moore and Josiah Christeson donated the land for the town site. Pulaski County surveyor, Thomas P. Masterson, platted the town, and Cyrus Colley was tasked with selling the lots. Harvey Wood, the first postmaster, named his new post office in honor of Revolutionary War hero “Mad Anthony” Wayne, and thus, Waynesville was born.

Waynesville is the county seat of Pulaski County, in south central Missouri. Parts of the town line the “Roaring Roubidoux” to the north and south, and the “Old Wire Road” to the east and west.
In 1837-39 the Northern Route of the infamous Trail of Tears traveled through Waynesville and encamped at the Roubidoux Springs in Laughlin Park.

Historic Route 66 provides the main route through town. Visitors from all over the world visit Waynesville to pay homage to “The Mother Road” and take pictures of the landmarks that dot the city.

Waynesville is a proud neighbor of Fort Leonard Wood, one of the largest training bases for the United States military. Construction of the fort began in December, 1940 and has forever changed the face of Waynesville. We celebrate the diversity that Fort Leonard Wood has brought to our city.
 

Waynesville is home to the Tigers, the mascot of the Waynesville R-VI School District. The school district is acclaimed for its academics, and athletics, and is always striving for excellence.

 

Whether in the area for a visit, or, if looking for a home to raise a family, Waynesville has plenty to offer. We hope that our community captures your heart just as the natural beauty of the area captured George W. Gibson, over 175 years ago.



“Preserving The Past, Planning For The Future”